Congratulations to the inaugural winner of the William Buckland Foundation Fellowship with The Age, Rachel Houlihan from The Standard in Warrnambool.
Journalists from across Victoria are invited to apply for this hands on experience in The Age’s newsroom. Freelance and part-time journalists from regional Victoria are eligible for a behind the scenes experience with this award-winning news team. Playing a hands-on role in researching, developing and writing stories you will work across all platforms, cultivate a network of contacts, build your investigative skills and gain a greater understanding of how the news is made in one of the country’s leading newsrooms.
Thanks to funding from the William Buckland Foundation the recipient will receive $15,000 for the 12 week duration of the secondment with The Age.
Freelance and part time journalists are eligible to apply. Full time journalists on secondments will also be considered.
Applications close May 12
This twelve week placement will be broken down into selected placements with dedicated duties and responsibilities:
- Breaking news: you will be assisting with researching, reporting and writing daily news.
- General news: you will work alongside education and city reporters to learn how to develop urban and policy reporting.
- Individual project: you will be allocated a dedicated project for online and print, and will be supported by senior Age journalists.
- Plus other duties as directed.
There is no application fee for this fellowship.
The successful applicant will have:
- a demonstrated passion for journalism across print and digital
- an excellent academic record
- excellent presentation, research and writing skills
- knowledge of and familiarity with G Suite
- the ability to work in a busy environment
- written and spoken proficiency in English
- Preferred skills: experience in data journalism and proficiency with google sheets/excel is preferred
Find the full selection criteria here.
All applicants are required to submit the following material with their application:
- 1 x copy of their academic transcript (if still attending an academic institution)
- 1 x copy of a current CV (including details of a personal and a professional referee)
- 3 x examples of their best work
- Summary of relevant skills, contacts and experience that would benefit The Age
In the application form, you will also be asked questions about why you are applying and what you hope to receive from this opportunity. You will be able to save your progress as you go along, so please take all the time you need to complete the application.
Terms and conditions
Applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia based in regional Victoria. Applicants must be either working freelance or part-time, or if full time, they must have permission for a secondment from their media organisation.
Shortlisted applicants must be available to be interviewed in person or via video conference by the judging panel in early June 2019. The applicant must also be available to undertake the 12-week fellowship in Melbourne within the application year. Dates to be confirmed, but placement start date will be no earlier than July 2019.